Hello Southgate community!
It's been a busy year, and it's spring! This time of year finds us conducting student assessments, having transition meetings for our soon-to-be middle school students, and planning a variety of events. We have many things to be thankful for at Southgate:
· Southgate Elementary was honored as one of the top 5% elementary schools in the State for gains in reading! Your child's teachers, para-professionals, staff, Team Read, and reading volunteers are making a big difference!
· Thank you parents for making reading 20 minutes per day a priority at home!
· Our number of volunteers who read with children and assist in the classrooms is excellent. Please consider joining our team; it can be a very rewarding experience. If you are interested, there is paperwork is available in our office.
· Thank you TEAM READ for providing outstanding support for our students in reading. This one student at a time makes a huge difference for our Dragons!
· Our after school Dragon Support program continues to be very popular. Nearly 50 students stay after school for support in reading and mathematics. We use a combination of on-line, small group, and individual instruction.
· Thank you for your help in keeping our parking lot safe and orderly. We appreciate it.
I am pleased to share with you that we will be adding extra teachers at Southgate in Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, and 5th grade. You will receive your child's classroom placement and Welcome to the 2014-15 school year letter at the end of June/beginning of July 2014.
Thanks for a great year,